the Pipe and Tabor compendium

the Pipe and Tabor compendium

essays on the three-hole pipe

pipe and tabor players as
architectural features in the UK

March, Cambridgeshire
St Wendreda

angel roof


120 angels
The building of the roof seems to be dated from 1523 and 1526. During the English Reformation idolatrous items like the angels, were being destroyed throughout the country, and when Henry VIII’s commissioners arrived the angels seem doomed. But some quick thinking on the part of the merchants helped by welcoming them with food, drink and loading them with church silverware, so the 120 angels stayed flying in the roof; well thats how the story goes. 



Much of the building dates from the early 16th century

top of page